Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Generation

I stumbled on this article on one of those social media sites we're always moaning about. And I liked it. It's a bit dark and negative for my viewpoint... and I also feel like he is characterizing all of us under a behavior style we didn't all have, but I like this take on generation X and this upcoming generation all the same. Read it, and tell me what you think of it.

5 Ways We Ruined the Occupy Wall Street Generation

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have always been irritated at this idea that college was a given, and that college was a necessity. I read a long thread on another blog about a year ago in which people were discussing this idea that many parents feel like a consideration in whether to have a child is whether we think that we will be able to afford to send them to college. I've written before about how I think this idea is wrong on SO many levels -- not the least of which is that who knows what the economy and the job market will be like in 20 years? who's to say that anyone but the richest of the rich will be able to afford college then? etc etc -- but the comment that resonated the most with me was:

[paraphrase] We ought to be worrying more about raising our children to be responsible adults by the age of 18-20 rather than worrying about sending them to college and hoping that the "college experience" will do it for us.

I don't know, I could go on and on and on -- I was raised in an academic family and I went to graduate school but I hope that my children know that there are lots and lots of other worthwhile occupations.

Also, some of the most successful (and I don't just mean financially) people I've ever met have been people who work in construction, landscaping, mechanics, etc. It's a shame people aren't shown the dignity in those vocations, as well.

As usual, I've rambled on longer than the original post and didn't say much insightful. Oops.

Barb said...

I always find you insightful.. And delightfully humble. Thanks!

jjiraffe said...

Fascinating article: thanks for sharing that. I am a Gen Xer, and I have started to feel the heat from some of my younger family and friends. One friend, a teacher, was telling my how Gen Xer parents have made teaching much harder (we're much more demanding and hover more), my brother is annoyed our generation "sold out": he expected more from us bohemian coffee-shop dwellers.

My parents came from unusually well-educated families (who were poor but smart) so college was never even a question. They were also able to pay for my college with their middle-class salaries, which I don't even think is possible anymore. More importantly though, they taught me to work hard and that I was on my own after school. I hope I remember that same lessons with my kids.

Thanks for posting this: really good food for thought.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I don't know. I read this when you put it on Facebook and there was just so much there that I don't feel like I can come up with a concise comment about it. I think, knowing you so well, that I should just say "yeah, me too."

Karen said...

I read that when someone (maybe you?) posted it on FB. I agree with much of it. However, in my family it was never a given that we would go to college. Many of my cousins didn't, especially the boys. They didn't end up flipping burgers. They ended up as plumbers, contractors, masons, small business owners. They're being hit now during this recession, but no more, and maybe less, than my friends who've been laid off from their finance jobs for over a year. I believe strongly that there should more of a focus on vocational/technical schools. Not everyone can or should go to college.