Tuesday, May 24, 2011

On Positive Reinforcement: A Teaser

I swear I have not forgotten about this series! Life has just needed to be lived a little more fully lately, and blogging takes a back seat. I plan to talk about ways to set yourself up for success in this arena in the next installment, hopefully out tomorrow. In the meantime, maybe you'd like to brush up on Part I or Part II?

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I am ready!

MICHELE CERVONE SCOTT said...

I love this stuff! Thanks for a great series so far. I'm looking forward to reading more.

And I completely agree with something you said following the toddler spanking story in part 2: "'do as I say, not as I do' is not the most effective platform from which to preach non-violence, and that an aggressive response is more common following an aggressive reaction." As adoptive parents, some of our non-adoptive, spanking peers don't understand how we can discipline our son without spanking. But we've learned that positive reinforcement (lots of praise) and some of the other methods you mentioned (taking away privileges) works well (and even heads off temper tantrums.)