Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Burning Question

So I've been waking up multiple times some nights with both arms fallen asleep from shoulder to fingers. It doesn't matter what position I choose. The doc did examine me but found nothing alarming (in the middle of the night I find differently) and said most new moms complain of something like this and basically shrugged. Is this true? Where are you "most moms?" What did you do to ease it? It's ridiculous when my arms get better sleep than I do.

7 comments:

Mrslady1975 said...

I had this problem pre-pregnancy and suffer from horrible pregnancy carpal tunnel symdrome. I know that pre-pregnancy it was the position I slept in and found a new pillow and a visit to the chiropractor helped alot. I also got some relief from massages but really, the chiropractor did the most for me. Are you sleeping in an odd position or hold E a certain way? What about a repetitive motion at work? I would try a new pillow first then a chiropractor. Good Luck!

HereWeGoAJen said...

I have no help, but I do have sympathy because my feet have been falling asleep all the time. Usually while I am in the car or sleeping. And there is nothing worse than being woken up for no good reason.

Megan said...

I had similar hand/feet issues when I was sleeping...not easy to go rescue a crying baby when you couldn't move well! Time and a good chiropractor helped me. Also, I had to concentrate while falling asleep that I wasn't clenching my fists- that definitely helped.

Barb said...

Agreed Jen. Great points guys! Thanks!

Christina said...

Wow, that's strange, I never thought it could have been from after pregnancy but my right arm falls asleep too almost every night. I don't have any advice though on how to get rid of it, sorry!

Heather said...

When Ree was around 9 months old I developed a lot of pain in both wrists - I couldn't bend them back at all. It eventually went away on its own, but it took a loooong time and me carrying her less for a little while. I'll ask Matt if he knows of any neurological reason for the tingling!

Jamie said...

How strange! I don't have numb arms/fingers but I do have a terrible time sleeping in general. I think it is a part of the whole 'mommy awareness' and being afraid I might sleep through a middle of the night crisis. At least that is what I keep telling myself. I also keep telling myself that it will get better but I'm starting to doubt myself.